Tuesday, June 23, 2009

One week ago today...

I can't believe that it has already been a whole week since this little boy joined our family. He is so sweet and we are so happy that he is finally here. Here he is today looking quite handsome.
I have to start at the beginning though, so here goes. Last Monday at my dr. appt., they said I was getting quite close and if I didn't go into labor on my own I could get induced the next morning. I was having contractions all day and to help them out we went to the mall, Thanksgiving Point, and grocery shopping. Of course nothing big happened all day until I got into bed. Then the contractions really started hurting and got more consistent. I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep so I just hung out and watched tv. At about 1:30 a.m. I decided it was time to go to the hospital. I figured I was going in to be induced in the morning anyway, so they most likely wouldn't send me home. On the way to the hospital, the contractions were about 5 min apart and quite bad. Of course once I got there and they checked me in and I was in my room, they had slowed down. They decided just to keep me, but the dr. wanted to see what I would do on my own before giving me pitocin. That was a miserable 4 hours. I got really weak and nauseous, had the shakes and was so tired but couldn't sleep. They finally checked me and I was only at a 4 so they decided to give me pitocin. Then everything happened so fast. About an hour later, I was at a 7 and 1/2. I called my family to give them notice, but figured it would still be a while so not to rush. The nurse came in a little bit later because the baby's heartbeat was kind of all over the place. She decided to check me once more and was quite shocked to find out that I was ready. She told me not to move as she ran to call the doctor. We called family and no one really had time to get there but Paul's mom was there already and Heather made it minutes after. With only about 10 minutes of pushing, Crew was here. I was in complete shock at how much easier it was than with Kate. We are so lucky that he made it here safe.
Sorry there are so many pics, but this is to wrap up his first week.
We are used to big babies in my family so 6 lb. 14 oz. seems so tiny. He is really long though.

Kate meeting her new little brother. She struggled the first couple of days, especially when Paul would hold him, but now she is in love with him. In the morning, that is the first thing she asks for. Baby?
Crew meeting lots of family.

First family pic. Kate looks so sweet in this I could die.
I missed my sweet girl.
Crew with momma and papa.

Kate loved the rocking chair in the sitting area just outside my room.
I stayed 2 nights and so we came home Thursday morning. I love how tiny he looks in his car seat.
It is so fun to get to see them in real clothes for the first time.
Kate was so excited when we got home. Thanks everyone for helping take care of her while we were gone.



Testing out his new bed.






loving his first bath at home



I love this picture. He sleeps so much, that I haven't got to see his eyes very much.


just in time for father's day... Paul is such a good dad. He has been Kate's buddy for the last week while I have been trying to recover and figure everything out again. He goes back to work tomorrow and I am quite nervous for my first day alone. Kate and Crew are so lucky to have him as their papa.






I'm kind of obsessed with pictures, so I'm sure there will be plenty more to come. But at least I am caught up now.

6 comments:

ShEiLa said...

You are right...
lots of photos but really you wouldn't want it any other way.

How precious and tiny is your little Crew. How sweet is the big sister looking at him with love. You will find that she may decide to compete for attention that a baby demands when brand new... but you all make a such a darling family there is plenty of love to go around.

ToOdLeS.

Heather and Brett said...

I just love him. I miss him already even though I saw him last night. He is really so handsome and precious. I am so excited for when he can play with my baby!

Readfamily said...

Congrats Heidi! He is adorable! I can't believe how much he looks like Kate. I hope you are feeling good and I can't wait to have these 2nd cousins meet!

Shannon said...

What a sweet miracle! Congrats Heidi! He is so tiny and sweet. Enjoy every second of it!!!

Grandpa Cliff said...

Fun to see all the pictures. I can't wait to get home from Wyoming and see Kate and Crew. I did take that picture of Kate by you in the hospital bed.

amanda bales said...

i do enjoy the collage you made of all the fam. great way to preserve precious blog space!
i'm glad i took that family picture that is so darling. what would you do without me?
i just love your little family! i do, it's true.
:)