Thursday, September 25, 2008

My big accomplishment....

A few weeks ago, I decided that I wanted to make something for my baby girl. I don't really sew much, which is pretty sad becuase my mom is such a wonderful seamstress, but I wanted Kate to have something that I made for her. So anyway, I went to the fabric store and picked out fabric to make a quilt. I was surprised at what cute fabric they had. I have a hard time starting a big project, but when I do, I kind of get obsessed and that is all I can think about, so I finished it pretty quick. I sewed the front and the back pieces and then had a lady do the quilting on her machine. So here are a few pics of the finished product. I know this a lot of picture of a quilt, but I was quite excited with how it turned out and Kate was being cute too, so that didn't help much.
I love the quilted design. You can see it better if you enlarge the back piece.

I would only really get to sew when Kate was taking her nap or late at night. The sewing machine was in our room and Paul was so nice to let me sew after he went to bed. He would just sleep wearing ear plugs and my eye mask. Now I am trying to decide what my next project will be.......


10 comments:

Winn Family said...

That quilt is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE!!! Reminds me that I don't do stuff like that for my kids.....I should get right on that! So so so cute!

Rachel said...

WOW THAT IS AMAIZING. DID YOU HAVE A PATTERN? I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU MADE THAT! I WOULD LOVE TO DO THAT.

Paul and Heidi Broadbent said...

Rachel-
I went to the Fabric Mill in Orem and saw a quilt that I loved and wanted to copy. So the lady there was really nice and drew it out and figure out exactly how much fabric I needed. Then my mom pretty much told me what to do. It was so fun and really not that hard. I had the lady do the quilting and the edges so I didn't have to deal with those either.

DannyHollie said...

Wow- I was pretty proud of the dorky little quilts I've made for my boys- but yours is gorgeous! Mine are so lame... I love the colors and the pattern that is quilted into it- Where did you find someone to quilt it for you? That's the hardest part- but it totally makes the quilt look professional. Well Done!

Grandma Z said...

The quilt turned out so super great. I'm sure it will look even better in real life. My mother would be so pleased that you are doing quilt blocks. Whenever she had spare time, she was doing quilt blocks and made hundreds of quilts. I am proud of you, and you are a fantastic mom to little Kate. Love, Grandma Z

Caldwells said...

You look like quite the seamstress if you ask me! I love it! I loved the dance clips below. That sounds like a blast to go to "so you think you can dance". You girls always have so much fun (and paul!) :)

Brain Balance Mom said...

It is so pretty heidi! It really is amazing. I want to pay you to make one for hazel - It has been too long since I have done anything like that.. You should make them and sell them. It isn't just that you made it, but that you designed it. Such pretty colors together and the patterns, etc. It is beautiful. Kate will get to pass it on to her kids...
tam

Kjerstin said...

Impressive! I have a suggestion for your next project...halloween costumes! Ring a bell? In my pregnant "nesting" phase I actually sewed bumpers for McKay's cradle, I was so proud of myself...it's so hard to find cute fabric around here. But Amy Butler has THE cutest fabric...google her if you're interested.

adrianne said...

Wow! Love the material. Good for you! How are you guys doing? We miss you. Hope all is well. Things are really good here.

Anonymous said...

Heidi! I found you! Good to run into you at Roberts the other day! Oh the memories from Contempo! We had so much fun...it was one of my favorite jobs ever! Your quilt is darling! I love quilting/sewing! Your baby is beautiful! Don't be a stranger! (That sounds like a high school year book entry! Awesome!) But I mean it!